Monday, August 9, 2010

Get the boy a dog for goodness sake

Not long ago I was in Walmart walking around, and I hear a mother trying to influence her son to pick out a video game he wanted.  The boy seemed very uninterested.  She kept saying, "Pick one out, because you aren't getting a dog for your birthday."  I didn't think about it much at the time, but later it started to bother me. 

The boy seemed to be about 8 or 9, and was old enough to understand how to take care of an animal. Every child should have some sort of pet growing up.  I'm not sure if the family had other pets or not, but they seemed to be the type of family that wouldn't.  These types of people that you imagine them in their home and they have very nice furniture, appliances, and lots of groceries in the fridge.  The Dad works all day and through part of the night, the mom works until she has to pick up the kiddos from school. The kids play video games all day, and text, and watch YouTube videos, learning how to be cool.  Poor kids. Any child who would rather have a dog than video games deserves at least a pet of some type.  My judgemental mindset is flaring right now, but I can't help but wondering what these parents are thinking.  Pets teach kids that they have to look out for something besides themselves on a daily basis.  A kid without a pet has no one to think about but his or her self (not saying kids without pets are bad kids, but they may not have a main source of responsibility).  Teach a kid to fed and water and exercise an animal, and they learn how to sacrifice themselves for others.
My buddy in high school was fascinated with ducks.  Each morning he would wake up early, and like a 50 year old man he would make a pot of coffee, go out to his pond and feed his ducks.  He would watch the ducks, take pictures of the ducks, tell the dogs to get away from the ducks, and think about what kind of ducks he was going to buy next.  He knew that those ducks would be eaten or they would fly away without attention and proper care.  My buddy was not a selfish person.

Buy your kids a dog. Or a duck.


                                                                                   Me n' my pup

1 comment:

  1. Agree! I never had a dog...and desperately wanted one. I still do.

    ReplyDelete